Pages

Monday, December 24, 2012

Fat Guys Aren't Always Jolly - Blogging Advent Calendar 2012


I gotta do something.

With 2013 rapidly approaching, people all over are making New Year’s Resolutions that they are going to break. The most common one is probably “to lose weight”. I rarely make resolutions, but I think this year I will. I think I am going to resolve to get back in game shape.

I have struggled with weight most of my adult life. Usually the more stressed or depressed I get, the heavier I get. Every once in a while I snap out of the funk and start eating healthy and working out and so far when I would do that… I would shed weight like crazy. My issue is that I am an abuser of comfort food and I am incredibly sedentary. Sure I chase after three kids, but outside of that… I am not moving too much.

I sit in the living room watching kids, I drive to work and then I sit at work. If sitting was an Olympic sport, then I would be a gold medal winner.

So my weight is out of control and this is puzzling to me because I have so many other phases of my life in complete control. Why can’t I keep my weight down? It was one of the things I wanted to try and figure out with a shrink a while back, but he was awful.

As the father of a special needs kid I realize the incredible importance in maintaining my health and being around as long as I can. No pun intended, but it weighs on me pretty heavily… OK, the pun was intended. Want a better laugh than a bad pun? If you were to see a picture of me and my parents, you would wonder how my mother gave birth to a person that is my size. Both of my parents are little people. To describe them both as "skinny" would be an insult to skinny people. They are both incredibly thin. I literally way more than my parents combined... by a good 10 pounds.

I make light of being a fat guy a lot. I suppose it is easier than doing the hard work involved in getting myself back in shape. But I have to do it. I have done it 2 or 3 times in the past, but if I do it again, I want it to be the last time. I want to master the difficult task of maintaining my weight and not getting complacent.

My kids deserve it… to be frank, I owe it to them.

I owe it to myself too.


If you have not already, please take time to watch my videos, "Fixing" Autism and Autism Awareness with Nichole337 and share them with your friends.



To keep up to date with everying in Lou's Land, please subscribe to my blog. "Like" Lou's Land on Facebook and follow Lou's Land on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. There was a study out recently where they studied the brain of folks using functional MRI. The depressed peoples' reward centers lit up like Xmas trees when shown comfort foods. I get the feeling my reward center is telling my 'get in shape' center what it can do with itself.

    ReplyDelete