Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

TIME for Action - 2012 Blogging Advent Calendar Day 4





Yesterday I was stunned to see that on my friend Luau’s personal Facebook page he posted a link with a few choice words to the following article and headline written by John Cloud (@JohnAshleyCloud)  that appears on TIME’s Health and Family section:

Click here to be offended.

I mean in 2012 we have a headline like that from a reputable news magazine?

The article goes on to talk about the changes implemented by the DSM-5 and what do you think the first thing that is discussed?

If you guessed schizophrenia, obsessive compulsive disorder, bipolar/manic depression or addiction… you would be wrong. It is autism. Is my daughter crazy? No. Let's say for the sake of argument that it was any of the aforementioned mental illnesses... do they need some magazine calling them crazy? No.

Way to add something positive to the discourse TIME!

Many times the author is not the one who comes up with the headline, but I can’t say for a fact that John Cloud did not come up with headline. I tweeted him to ask who came up with the headline, but so far, no response.

At any rate Luau isn’t going to stand for it. He wrote a fantastic response to the article in terms that appeal to my male brain, and I hope it appeals to you as well.

Click on the image to read Luau's response.

Let us do what we autism parents do. Apply some cyber heat. Demand that TIME change the title of the article and apologize… let them know that @luau sent you.

Here are some places and handles you can use to lend your voice to the campaign:

John Cloud on Twitter: @JohnAshleyCloud
TIME on Twitter: @TIME and @TIMEHealthland
You can also send an email to letters@time.com



If you like what you have seen and read, please take a few seconds and vote for Lou's Land as one of Babble's Top Autism Spectrum Blogs. (Though I think this site is all kinds of messed up)


If you have not already, please take time to watch my videos, "Fixing" Autism and Autism Awareness with Nichole337 and share them with your friends.

To keep up to date with everything Lou's Land, please subscribe to my blog, "Like" me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment